Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Damilano Barolo 2001

It's been a while since the last update, but that's what happens during exam and paper season! I tasted this wine at the Vancouver International Wine Festival, but I had an opportunity to have a bottle recently and I thought it would be interesting to compare the experiences. It was an interesting experiment comparing impressions for the same wine of the same vintage but consumed merely weeks apart. It perhaps says something about our perceptions of taste, but I am planning a future more in-depth post about that so I'll leave that idea as a nascent thought.


The nose on this was quite fungal upon first opening the bottle - also quite concentrated and a little earthy at the core. A few hints of blackberry on the nose expanded on the palate for a relatively fruity flavour for Barolo (strange given the last time I tasted this it was a lot more vegetal). The tannins were quite smooth and built the semi-tart fruit of the palate into a longish finish. I would recommend decanting this for several hours, though, since after a day in the fridge it really opened up and gained added depth and complexity. However, I didn't love it as much as when I first tasted it - an interesting shift. I have one more bottle in my cellar and am excited to try that maybe in a year or more and see how it has changed (I have a hard time cellaring anything beyond a couple years).

Very Good+
$50 at BCLDB

No comments: