Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Matanzas Creek Bennet Valley Merlot 2004

Matanzas is turning out to be a steller good value producer here in California. Based in Sonoma, Matanzas is producing some seriously well balanced and thoughtful budget wines that blow away most everything else at their price point.

This merlot had a very dark rich nose of mint, chocolate and briar. The palate was a little woody, but had a big punch, good acidity in the mid-palate and a killer flavour profile of spicy earth and dark fruit. This tates like a merlot you would have to pay $60 for in Canada. Simply put: mmmm.


Very Good+ to Excellent
$23 (now on sale for $18!) at K&L Wine Merchants (Marquis carries these guys in Vancouver)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice. I'll look out for it here. I wonder what Marquis is charging for it...

Shea said...

Good question! I can't remember, but I know I saw it there sometime last fall.