Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Nicolas Catena Zapata Malbec Argentino 2004

Coupled with the Almaviva, this was the second wine I had to celebrate the end of the term. I have a lot of respect for Catena and am a huge fan of their entire range of wines, but this was my opportunity to sample their high end single vineyard Malbec.

A very dark purple in the glass, almost like beets - this may, in fact, be the darkest wine I have ever seen. The colour suggested the power of the wine, and I discovered stunning notes of flowers, game, raspberry, and red currents on the powerfully explosive nose. The palate got even more intense with blackberry, chocolate, blueberry, graphite, licorice and spice. A tremendous wine with unbelievable concentration and texture, this has the backbone to expand for many years and become a stunner of a wine.

Excellent+
$106 at Dundarave Wine Cellars

No comments: