Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Catena Alta Malbec 2004

I picked this up on sale, making it a more normal price. I've had this before at the Catena dinner I attended and was impressed but not blown away with it there. This is my second try, and my opinion has changed little.

Here we have a nose of chcolate, game and blackberry. Rich and fruit dark berries on the palate with a little pepper and spice. This has what I like to call a 'brambly' character to it. Great body and structure with nice length. However, while I wouldn't go so far as to call this unbalanced, I would call it slightly rough, and that brings the rating down a notch for me. I prefer the Catena Alta Cabernet Sauvignon more than this.

Very Good+
$65 ($44 on sale) at BCLDB

2 comments:

Joe said...

My sense is this way too young, but I am concerned that the house style is changing - I really liked an older bottle of this wine, was not as impressed with the newer bottling.

Shea said...

Interesting. I recently had the Argentino Malbec and thought it was great, however. Same vintage.