Saturday, December 13, 2008

Donnhoff Estate Riesling 2006

After listening to Barry and Joe rave about the virtues of Donnhoff, and hearing that BC Liquor got a limited shipment of a few of their rieslings I had to give them a try. This estate riesling is the most widely available Donnhoff, and it still astonished me. I have some of the single vineyard stuff waiting for the right moment, and if this wine is any sign, it will be special.


The nose on this riesling was absolutely fabulous with grapefruit, passionfruit and orange vibrantly rushing forth from the glass. The palate continued these elements while adding apple and minerality. There were two main reasons this wine stood above most rieslings I've had, however. First, it had an incredible articulation and balance of acidity and sugar beyond almost any white I have tasted. Second was the texture. It was long and light in the mouth but also incredibly full flavoured - with slicing minerality that didn't detract from the fruit but actually enlivened it. Amazingly, the acidity was quite restrained, but sufficient to always keep you longing for another sip. Brilliant stuff - get this whenever you can.

Excellent
$33 at BCLDB

4 comments:

Barry said...

Glad you liked this one Shea....2006 was also a good vintage on the Nahe...probably more typical than 2005 or 2007....
Thanks for the link..but it goes nowhere..I am out in space.....

Shea said...

Woops. Link fixed. Yes, I just wish I could taste more of that great wine you get over there. Almost everything here is Mosel riesling - which while good, lacks variety sometimes.

Joe said...

articulation is a fantastic word to describe that intangible in German riesling - but you have to taste a lot of stuff to notice it. glad you liked!

Shea said...

Thanks for the recommendation! I would never have gone to grab this otherwise - which would have been a huge shame. I'm saving a single vineyard kabinett to drink to celebrate my last exam. Although, with vancouver experiencing Montreal-like coldness this week, I may have to pass on the white!