Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Alvaro Palacios 'Les Terrasses' 2005

Having just finished my second last exam yesterday, it is time for some more catch up posting! This particular wine is made by one of the all-stars of Spain's now famous Priorat region. Alvaro Palacios was one of the pioneers for Priorat and has seen the wines from this region go from backwater jug-wine to world-class cult wine, with Palacio's top wine L'ermita going for $888 here at BC Liquor.

This wine is Palacio's entry-level wine, and while still not cheap, offers tremendous value. This is not an over the top mega wine that Priorat has become known for. This is, rather, one of the most complex expressions of Grenache that you can get at this price point. With a nose of cherry, licorice, and leather this was still a bit tight at the time of drinking - although also still expressive. Clearly there will be more to this nose in the future. The palate was leathery, earth and replete with blackberry. Dense and concentrated without being opulent, this wine is not at all flabby and has tight acidity and a strong tannic back-bone. Really here we have a wine with superb aging potential, incredible concentration, and real personality. A brilliant wine and vintage. Very highly recommended.

Excellent to Excellent+
$55 at BCLDB

4 comments:

Joe said...

ok, I am counting 11 posts in 10 days - I can't keep up! The '05 Les Terrasses is $34.75 here - not rubbing it in, just passing the info. Maybe I'll splurge over the holidays. Did you decant? How long? Good idea to drink today or should it be cellared?

Shea said...

You can't rub it in because, firstly, I have come to terms with the ridiculousness of BC wine prices. And, secondly, I will be living in Berkeley from jan to May 2009. My wine will definitely be cheaper than yours there :).

I think you can drink this now after 2+ hours of decanting. It is also a great cellar candidate and will definitely improve. At $35 it's a ridiculous bargain in my opinion. I thought it was good for $55.

Joe said...

I love it when people say that a $35 wine is a ridiculous bargain - only someone knowledgeable and passionate about wine can say that! SAQ is having a bunch of sales lately, I may try to pick it up even cheaper...

Shea said...

True enough. I used to think anything over $13 was crazy. I heard the LCBO is also cutting prices on premium wines. There have certainly been a few here - such as 50% off single vineyard pouilly-fuisse chards.