Tuesday, March 18, 2008

David Fulton Petite Sirah 2003

As I've mentioned before, I've always been a fan of petite sirah. It's not what I would classify as my favourite grape, but I appreciate its uniqueness. David Fulton began just as a grape grower who would sell his petite sirah to some pretty high class customers for blending purposes. These days the winery is also producing a top notch petite sirah bottling of their own that shows what this grape is capable of.

The nose was very pruney this time around. When I originally had this wine about six months ago the nose was a lot more toasty. The palate was very chocolatey with dark cherry and prune fruit flavours. Upon initially tasting the wine it seems a bit simple, but then after a couple seconds the mid-palate explodes into intense flavour that develops into a length and very pleasurable finish. This wine is big and intense, but has superb tannin structure and is concentrated and focused, unlike other petite sirahs. This is a BBQ wine from the gods and probably the best petite sirah I've tasted to date.

Excellent
$37 USD (purchased in California)

No comments: