Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Chateau Larrivet Haut-Brion 1998

I managed to find this wine tucked away in the corner of my local BC Liquor store. While I know that this is a far cry from the famous Haut Brion Bordeauxs, I figured it would be a lot of fun to try out an older vintage Bordeaux from a decent producer. Keep in mind, however, that this wine was more a combination of new and old style Bordeaux as opposed to the purely classic.


The nose gave up sweet jammy mint and chocolate notes. The palate was tangy and earthy with pretty subdued fruit. I liked that. This is what you might call a more austere wine that has a lot of finesse and structure, smooth tannins, medium body and a medium length finish, but that is also not a big fruit fun blast. This requires you to be in the right mood when drinking. With some air the palate opened up into barnyardy coffee flavours.

Very Good+
$77 at BCLDB

No comments: