Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Au Bon Climat Hildegard 2002

I tend to love this winery, so when I saw one of their whites on sale I had to jump. I have to say that I was pretty disappointed in this one, but that it was well made enough for me to want to try some other of Au Bon Climat's whites.


The wine had a nice golden straw colour and comprised 55% Pinot Gris, 40% pinot blanc, and 5% Aligote. This was a pretty low-acidity wine that presented notes of pear on the nose. The palate was heavy on the pear and apple and felt slightly caramalized. I just couldn't get over the seeming lack of integration of flavours into a pleasant whole. The wine kind of went from tart apple to smooth pear to caramel and back to apple again. Needless to say I wasn't a huge fan. At least it was an ok sipper.
$48 ($34 on sale) at Marquis
Good+

No comments: