Thursday, March 27, 2008

Chateau de St. Cosme Gigondas 2005

The exact opposite of the wine from yesterday's review. This is real Rhone Valley that typifies why this region is so exciting for me. Here we have a regular Gigondas wine that is bold, rustic and edgy without being manipulated or alcoholic.


The nose was very much that of baked earth and fresh cherry; I can feel the sun beating down on the grapes. This does not have that 'baked' fruit flavour, though, but is quite well balanced. The palate is again roasted earth and cherry with waves of gamey pepper and spice. The flavours also concentrate and expand on the finish, which brings a fantastic end to a sip of this fantastic Gigondas. One of the best Gigondas I have had. These guys also make a single vineyard Gigondas, which I have sitting in my cellar collecting the appropriate amount of age. I have high expectations.

Excellent
$46 at Broadway International Wine Cellars or Kitsilano Wine Cellars

No comments: