Friday, October 10, 2008

Chateau Gruaud Larose 1997

A special occasion warranted opening this 11 year old bottle of the second growth Gruaud Larose. Given that 1997 wasn't a great year, I was worried this wouldn't deliver. However, my experience showed me that even in an off year quality wine can be made by a quality chateau. While I am not experienced in aged Bordeaux, I can safely say that I nevertheless thought this was a good example for a bad year.


On the nose was black current, wood and earth. A very stylish palate opened more flavours, such as minerally earth, tobacco and tea. The back end, while medium length for Bordeaux, was long compared to what I tend to drink. Complex and layered, this dissipated quite quickly after openining (which I find with a lot of aged wine).

Excellent
$150 at BCLDB

No comments: