Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Wine Blogging Wedndesday: Old World Riesling

With work beginning to gear up for the summer, it's nice to take a bit of a mental break with some old world grace. The wine I chose for this month's WBW was a Dr. Loosen Urziger Wurzgarten Riesling Spatlese 2006, which comes from the Mosel region of Germany. Dr. Loosen is, of course, a high profile and well respected German Riesling producer, but I had not previously had a chance to try their old world wines.


The nose reminded me more of a dry riesling with citrusy lime and stark minerals. The palate, however, expanded to include peach and apricot that accomplished a nice balance with the citrus. While having a very full and supple texture, this was also light in the mouth and delicate. The sweetness level was well balanced and a nice full sip develops buoyantly into a silky finish. My only 'reservation' is the lack of complexity in the flavours. I would like a more developed and lengthy flavour profile - but the texture is in itself exceptional.

Very Good+
$38 at BCLDB

3 comments:

Tim Elliott | Winecast said...

Dr. Loosen rarely disappoints from my experience. Thanks for sharing your review this month.

Cheers,
--
Tim Elliott
Winecast

J. Song said...

The only riesling from Dr. Loosen I've ever had was their entry-level wine in the screwtop which, despite its appearance, is a very good, very solid wine--especially for the price ($12-$15). I would love to try more rieslings from this producer.

I'd also have to recommend the riesling I had in my latest tasting, the 2005 Ch. W. Bernhard Hackenheimer Kirchberg Scheurebe Spätlese (whew!). It has well-balanced sweetness with a gossamer mouthfeel. It is like autumn in a glass.

Joon S.
http://vinicultured.com

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've ever met a Dr. Loosen that I haven't enjoyed!