Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Osoyoos Larose Le Grand Vin 2004

Canadian provincial wine laws have always been a pet peave of mine. In the case of Canadian made wine, bad wine laws have contributed to their general poor quality and lack of international reputation. For example, Ontario allows wine makers to import plonky leftover juice from around the world and yet label their wines Canadian. However, the state of wine production is improving somewhat, although for legal and economic reasons (lack of viable and large enough markets, lack of wide distribution) most Canadian wine is still sub-standard for the price (At least in my opinion). There are many proud supporters of Canadian wine, but I only follow my taste buds. That said, this bottle is not only an exception to what I've written above, but one that I would not be ashamed to see in other national markets.

I tried to hold on to this bottle a bit longer, but gave in to the urge to try it after only a few months of cellaring. The nose opened with a bit of cassis and cherry and these flavours continued to develop upon my first sip. The wine is pretty well integrated, but is a bit tight and overly tannic, especially in the finish. This really probably needs more time in the cellar to open up completely. However, this is definitely a very enjoyable wine.

$40 at BCLDB and Private Stores
Very Good (although probably Very Good + to Excellent with some bottle age)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a big supported of Osoyoos Larose. I have met Pascal the winemaker who is from France and he really wants to produce a true Bordeaux in the Okanagan. I have all the vintages from 2001 to 2005 and they keep getting better because the vines are aging. I understand from a barrel tasting that the 2006 will be the best ever. It should be release at the BC liquor stores in September. They really do need several years aging as the 2001 is tasting beautiful now.

Marty Braverman martinb@axion.net

Shea said...

That's fantastic to hear. I will pick one up when it is released. It's great to see BC wine improving dramatically.