Friday, December 7, 2007

Domaine Les Pallieres Gigondas 2004

I just wrote my first exam and handed in my only paper of the semester, so this called for another yummy wine. What can I say: very very juicy. The wine seems mild but it develops into a really intense fruit bomb. And I mean that in a good way. This wine is mostly Grenache and, as a Gigondas it hails from the Rhone Valley, which is maybe my most favourite region in the world. With wines of this quality coming in at only $40 (in BC of course) who can doubt that the Rhone makes some seriously good vino. I only wish I could afford some of the $80+ wines. I'm lucky enough to have one Hermitage cellared, but that one will probably be sitting for quite a few more years.

Anyhow, back to the wine at hand. I would describe this as having a very open and fruity nose consisting mostly of dried cherries. The wine itself is heavy in cherry and plumb, a bit of leather and chocolate and with a tarry inky texture. I love this sort of thing so this wine gets a very good rating for me. I would definitely buy this again. Drinking very well right now.

Also, to clarify my rating system, I will really only end up buying wines rated excellent or higher more than once. I have very high standards for rebuying wine, since there is always more to discover. That might give you a better sense of where I'm coming from.

Excellent

$40 at BCLDB and Marquis (where I got mine)

2 comments:

J. Song said...

Great post on the Gigondas. I tried this wine--vintage forgotten, unfortunately--about a year ago and remember loving its power and rusticity. Apparently the 2001 is a great vintage and can be had for around $30 - $40, depending on where you look.

Your blog looks great. As a soon-to-be law student who also loves wine, I look forward to reading more of what you have to say.

Cheers,

Joon
http://vinicultured.wordpress.com

Shea said...

Sorry for the delay responding to this, I was away. Thanks for your comments! I definitely have to seek out other vintages of this one - it's a beauty. I look forward to checking out your blog.