Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Nickel and Nickel Truchard Vineyard Carneros Chardonnay 2006

Nickel and Nickel are an offshoot of Far Niente in Napa that concentrates on single vineyard, singe varietal wines, supposedly to showcase California Terroir. I admit it sounds a little gimmicky coming from a fairly gimmicky winery. However, as with Far Niente there is serious quality backing up the concept. And, I would go so far to say that I think they are certainly getting distinct variety and site characteristics out of their wines (I've had a couple in the past).


This lovely chard had a nose of apple, pineapple, lemon curd, and vanilla. The palate was spritely with minerals, lime, citrus, papaya and banana. There is great brightness and texture here, with a richness that is smooth and creamy without being oaky or heavily malo-lactic'd. I'm not sure if this is a wild yeast fermentation, but is has some of those kinds of characteristics. The flavour profile is really quite exceptional for a California Chardonnay and I think this speaks very well for what they are doing in Carneros with this grape.

Excellent
$45 in California

No comments: