Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Plantagenet Riesling Great Southern 2005

Tonight was an order-in sushi night. I also felt like some wine with the sushi, and I had heard that Riesling was a good pairing. Thus, I chose the Plantagenet Riesling from Western Australia, which I believe was chosen as the best value white wine at last year's Vancouver International Wine Festival. It was a good choice.

This is a pretty citrusy wine with a lot of lime action on the nose and palate. It's quite a well balanced wine with solid acidity that stood up to the spicy salmon and tuna rolls. It's also a dry riesling, which I tend to prefer to the overly sweet ones (except when they are made exceptionally well). The Plantagenet has a firm structure with a tart but very crisp finish. After about 30-40 minutes the palate revealed some pretty interesting and flavourful raw clay-like/limestone flavours. Overall, an exceptional value.

Very Good+
$23 at BCLDB

No comments: